A lot of us are always looking for that little extra that we can do to make the world a better place. For animal lovers, the choice to volunteer at a local rescue may be easy. Some may need a little extra encouragement. Most animal rescues and organizations are non-profits. Since they are non-profits, these organizations relay strictly on those willing to volunteer their time.
Those who are pet owners know that day to day care of our animals is of the upmost importance. Here are just a few of the duties that you may have as a volunteer:
• Feeding – Feeding animals per their feeding schedule, adhering to any special needs diets.
• Grooming – Bathing and brushing animals as needed.
• Walking – Walking animals daily per the rescues schedule.
• Cleaning – General upkeep of the facility, kennel areas, litter pans, procedure rooms, etc.
• One on one/playtime – Socializing with the animals, handling animals, exposing animals to various social situations.
• Administering medications – Redressing wounds, administering medications as prescribed.
• Office work/Social Media – Run social media pages and websites, data entry, filing, etc
• Fostering – Temporarily house an animal available for adoption in your own home.
• Fundraising/Event Coordinating – Plan events and fundraisers, community reach out
Donations and other Support
With the internet, it is not hard to find out about an event being held by a local animal rescue. They happen more than you think! Here is a list of ways you can donate and support a local rescue even if you do not have the time to volunteer:
• Event posting Sites – Rescues will utilize other free event posting sites, especially larger scale events.
• Facebook pages – Information regarding a rescues needs and ways to donate can be typically found under the “about” tab.
• Amazon Smile – Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible Amazon Smile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. You can search for an organization of your choice, and as long as they participate in the program, your purchases will continue to help their organization.
• Donation Bins – Collection bins that are placed at related retail locations.
• Wish list/Gift Exchange – General list of day to day materials needed at the facility. Ask for donatable gifts for birthdays, weddings, anniversary’s and give them to your local rescue.
We at That Fish Place – That Pet Place work hard to do our part for homeless animals by regularly hosting meet and greets in conjunction with local animal welfare organizations. You can stay informed about our upcoming events by going to our Facebook page, our website, Google +, Eventful, and Susquehanna Life!
Local Animal Rescues & Shelters
There are a lot of local rescues that are in need of volunteers, donations, and fosters. They cannot succeed without your help. Here are just a handful of some of the local rescues that you can support.
-Facebook public page
-How can I help?
-Ways to help